Countdown to baby!

BabyGaga

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

My experience with the Paraguard IUD

I want to start by saying I appreciate you reading my blog. I have been out of the habit of writing for a while and if you're still around checking in on me, I am grateful. This post however, will be a little TMI and a little personal and if you didn't want to ready about my IUD before, then this post is probably not going to interest you. I keep this blog as a journal for myself, as much as I like to blog for others, and read others blogs. So anyway I appreciate you reading, but if you don't read this one I'll understand. ;)



I got my IUD about a year and a half ago. In the beginning I really like it. No pills, no condoms no hormones. It was the Paraguard IUD and since it's copper there were very little side effects. Then about 3 months after having it put in I started spotting in between periods. Nothing major, nothing my Dr. was worried about, but enough to make me feel icky and keep me and hubby from being intimate. After a few months of that, it became more of an every other week thing.. I'd spot for a week, be okay for a few days then spot some more. Eventually I was bleeding more than not and I finally got to the point I'd had enough. My Dr. removed it at the end of September and I haven't had an issue with spotting since. I am so happy I finally got it taken out but then it leaves us in a bit of a conundrum.. we are not ready to expand our family just yet.. and I am not going back on hormonal birth control. It was a horrendous feeling, I hated that it made it almost impossible to lose weight and not to mention that hbc puts you a greater risk for some cancers. So to condoms we go.. again.. sadly. I miss my IUD only in that it allowed greater spontaneity and passion, but only that one day a month when I wasn't bleeding. In the past year we've only been intimate I'd say about 12 times.. yeah that's not good.. so really I guess I don't miss it all that much. But now hubby's on the "I hate condoms" kick. But only in that we've had a pregnancy "scare" (and I use that term gently because I know it is a struggle for some to conceive, and I don't want to upset anyone) and he is afraid that a condom will fail. So we're almost back to not being intimate again because hubby is afraid of us getting pregnant. I am at a loss. I think eventually he will get over it but geese.. I just want to be a married couple again.

2 comments:

  1. Awww no I'm so sorry!!! I can empathize with your husband that we (my husband and I) are NOT condom fans either :(

    I actually just bought some "fun" condoms this week (a mixed pack from Trojan) in hopes that would help encourage us to use them. Exclusive breastfeeding is supposed to postpone my period - and it has so far - but it's still scary not using any form of BC (which is what we've been doing). It just feels *so much better* on so many different levels not having a physical barrier between you and your husband while being intimate.

    BUT, like you said, you weren't lucky at all with the IUD. Are there any non-hormonal BC options for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been trying to reply to you for a long time.. each time when my response is entered it gets kicked back and I don't know why. So I'm trying yet again, lol. Things have calmed down and hubby is a little more accepting of the condoms now, thankfully. Unfortunately the only other non hormonal birth control is the diaphragm and my Dr. said she hasn't fitted for one in over 10 years.. she's not even sure pharmacies carry them in the US at all anymore. Other than that, it's condoms and natural family planning. My Dr talked about a very low dose hormonal IUD that lasts for 3 years but I think I'll still have the spotting issues I had with the other IUD so I'm passing on that. I hope all is well with you and your family!!

      Delete